We’re still in the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic… and for many - this is a challenging period... to say the least.
Whether you’re concerned about your health or the health of your loved ones, stressed about your financial situation, or worried about the direction the world is taking - anxious thoughts can play over and over in your mind:
- "I can’t take the situation anymore"
- "The financial crisis is going to kill my business"
- "The government is doing too much (or too little)"
In Cognitive Behavioral Psychology these are called 'ANTs' - Automatic Negative Thoughts.
Your mind is very powerful. Yet, if you are like most people, you probably don’t think too much about the way you think. After all, who thinks about thinking?
The way you think about yourself turns into your reality
What you think directly influences how you feel and how you behave.
So if you think "I can’t take the situation anymore", for example, you’ll feel weak, helpless and drained. Then, you will not have the energy to take the actions you know you should take, leading to less (or no) results. Which would be the 'ultimate proof' that you can't handle the situation.
Now those negative thoughts become a negative, self-fulfilling prophecy.
Your thoughts affect your DNA
Research shows that when a person thinks and feels love, gratitude, and appreciation, their DNA relaxes itself and unwinds to become longer.
On the other hand, when the person thinks and feels anger, frustration, stress, or fear, their DNA tightens itself and becomes shorter.
Some DNA codes even shut down during such negative states.
Your thoughts affect your immune and recovery from illnesses
Research found that when HIV positive patients experienced thoughts and feelings of love, joy, and gratitude, their immune system had 300,000 times more resistance than they had before those states of consciousness.
This is such a huge impact that it is almost impossible to imagine.
What if you could let go of worry and anxiety?
What if you could replace your repetitive negative thoughts with positive, supporting, empowering thoughts?
Positive Affirmations are repeated specific phrases meant to calm your mind - allowing you to direct your thoughts toward a single, focused, positive point.
If your mind tends to get stuck either in the past or the future (the main result of anxious thoughts and stressed overthinking), using positive affirmations can help bring you into the present.
You can use ANTs to grow
In order to make the best use of your Automatic Negative Thoughts, do these:
- Learn to notice when negative thoughts start coming up.
- Once you have noticed them, remind yourself that all thoughts are creating your reality.
- Ask yourself if you would truly wish for the negative thought to become a reality.
- Begin using positive affirmations to replace the negative thoughts.
How to use positive affirmations to eliminate worry, anxiety or overwhelm?
- Start by choosing a designated time to commit to the practice each day.
In our Positive Affirmations Program we recommend listening to and repeating positive affirmations first thing in the morning and just before going to sleep (when your brain produces alpha waves).
- Start with 10 minutes each time and don't be afraid to get a little experimental with your practice, finding what works for you. Some people repeat the positive affirmations aloud while others repeat the affirmations quietly in their heads.
- In addition to using these empowering affirmations for anxiety and worry as a daily practice, you can also use them in moments of stress or overwhelm - for immediate relief.
No matter how you use positive affirmations, what's most important is…
Finding the right affirmations for you
The online and offline world are filled with suggestions for affirmations in any area of life… unfortunately, 95% of these suggested affirmations are either ineffective or counterproductive.
For example, here are two very common affirmations often suggested when you feel overwhelmed:
- "This too shall pass."
- "I have faith that this will all work out."
Both are totally useless to be used as positive affirmations.
Instead, use the following affirmations that have immense power:
- "I choose to be calm and centered, regardless of the situation."
- "I trust that everything is perfect as it is."
Check out the Positive Affirmations Program where we picked and created the most effective, transformative, empowering affirmations and recorded them using special music and subtle sounds to induce mental coordination, calmness, alertness, mind/body integration and learning.
Anxiety and worry are normal in times of stress and overwhelm, like we experience today… But you don’t have to let them take over you. Give positive affirmations a try for one month, and see how your life changes for the better.