- One of your most important clients just canceled a big deal you were counting on.
- The lockdown due to COVID has just been extended. And you’re stuck at home. Again.
- You just said the “wrong” word that escalated to another fight with your partner.
How Do You React in These Situations?
If you're like most people, your mind is immediately filled with negativity:
- "Maybe my business is just a fantasy";
- "Why can't I just get a break?" or...
- "Maybe there's something wrong with me."
Neuroscience has a name for this automatic habit of the brain:
Our brain is wired to focus on negativity, which served us well when we were living in caves, running after small, furry animals and away from big, toothy animals.
Today, however, this automatic habit causes you to react to a harsh email, a difficult conversation or a flight cancelation as if...
Your Life is in Danger...
This activates an overflow of stress hormones and leaves you obsessed with potential threats, unable to see the bigger picture.
When you lose a deal, when you have a fight with your partner, or when you face the hundreds of other daily disappointments in life, you are wired to forget all the good things and to instead focus completely on the negative.
But It Doesn’t Have to Be that Way
How can you reverse this hard-wired habit of the mind?
With a simple, 3-step, 30-second process:
- Notice your negative bias
The first step is to notice when you slip into anger, doubt, worry, anxiety, or fear.
Catch yourself when your mind starts inventing worst-case scenarios.
- Shift to a moment of gratitude
The second step is to think of one thing you're grateful for right now.
Your health. Your family. Your home. Your work. Your talents. Your strengths...
- Focus on what you want (not on what you don’t want)
The third step is to focus on one goal you have.
Any exciting goal (short term or long term) would do.
Then spend 15 seconds visualizing yourself already achieved this goal.
Enjoy the feelings of accomplishment and success.
The Best Thing About This Practice...
- It takes less than 30 seconds;
- You can do it anytime, anywhere; and
- You will begin to experience an immediate shift in your mindset.
The Moment You Make This Shift, Everything Changes
You remember your purpose, you look forward to new challenges, and you are ready to face life with optimism and excitement.
Try it once a day, every day for a week, and see what happens.
You can even be prepared for the next time your brain goes into a negative spiral, by preparing 3 goals that would excite you:
- Easy goal - you are certain to accomplish today
- Medium goal - to be completed within 7 days
- Long term goal - to become a reality in the next 12 months
Here Are Our Premeditated Goals:
Now It’s Your Turn
We can’t wait to read your goals and get inspired.
And until then...